From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:12:36 -0400
UVM had an extra advantage over Quinnipiac. They had several more years to
plan for a move to Hockey East than QU had to plan for a move to ECACHL.
Since it is generally acknowledged that HEA is a higher level than ECACHL,
UVM has had several more seasons to recruit with a promise of moving to a
higher visibility league (for those whose goal are to move on to pro
hockey). QU may have had the intent to try for the ECAC but it wasn't until
recently that they could count on it.
Considering UVM's recent history and their marked improvement last year, I
think we've already seen part of the boost they've gotten from good
recruiting and that part of the recruitment success may be due to the
promise of moving to Hockey East.

It will be tough to gauge the success of UVM's move vs. Quinnipiac's since
HEA is traditionally a league of haves vs. have-nots with BU, BC, UNH and
Maine being in the upper echelon and Northeastern, UMass-Amherst,
UMass-Lowell and Merrimack being in the bottom (this does, of course, vary
from year to year) as opposed to the ECACHL where there is seldom a huge
difference in points in the league. Usually there are one or two teams that
are out in front (like Cornell or Harvard), a few teams residing near the
cellar (we won't mention any names here) and the rest of the pack within
several points of one another. A few key wins by Quinnipiac could make the
difference between 10th and 4th place. That may not be the case for UVM in
Hockey East