Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 09:54:02 EST
Before todays games play out (so I do not get accused of sour grapes), I have
a few thoughts.

1.  The WCHA is good.  CC and DU are two of the best college hockey has to
offer.  UND is playing very well now, and Minn is a good team.

2.  Almost every team in the tournament showed why they were invited.  What
great games we have seen.  No other sport can say that all #1 seeds were
streched to the limit in their first round games.  We do not need to have conference
bashing at this time of year.  With a couple of bounces, the WCHA could be
looking at only one team still being alive at this point, and it would not be
that surprising.

3.  We need to address the NCAA neutral ice problem if we ever hope to grow
college hockey's appeal.  We are like womens basketball was 10 years ago when
the top seeds played at home, and always won, making an expanded tournament a
farce for the lower seeds.  Yesterday afternoon showed that the Gophers have
great Minnesota fans, but not necessarily great college hockey fans.  Filling
the barn for the first semi, then leaving before the second is poor form.  This
underscored why the NCAA must give the western schools an unfair advantage
each year by having games at a home rink, rather than neutral ice as it is in the
east.  As long as this situation exists, the final four will have a better
chance of western teams being there.  Everyone must admit that playing on home
ice gives a team an edge toward advancing.  Of course this sets up a circular
argument about how to run a national tournament when few places have the
apparent fan interest to sell out a random NCAA game.  Until the western areas can
figure out how to get people to come and enjoy good hockey (even if the home
team is not playing) we seem to be stuck with this problem.

Lets hope for two more great games today.

William Sangrey
Cornell '87&'94
Let's Go RED!!!