From:
Patrick Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 23:35:14 -0500
I think you're on to something with this. As a way of comparing two
teams that haven't played, you could compare records against common
opponents. That might be prove inadequate--after all, what happens if
they haven't played any of the same teams? So you could add maybe some
other methods of comparison, and then weight each of those and thus
rank every team in college hockey. Neat!

There's some German guy working on something similar, I think he
published it recently in Mathematische Zeitschrift. Volume 29, pages
436-460; you should check it out.

Pat Carr