From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 18:47:24 -0700
In some ways D3 recruiting is dirtier than D1.  In D1 the recruit has some
degree of knowledge about the interest level of the school -- the amount
of athletic scholarship.  Full ride, they want you a lot.  Partial ride, they
want you.  No ride, see you at tryouts.

There's nothing to prevent D3 coaches from recruiting many more kids than he
needs -- and I fully believe some do -- and tell all of them that they've got
a great shot to make the team.  About the only way a kid can gauge interest is
if he gets admitted with academic qualifications significantly below the norm
for that school (indicating that the coach exercised one of his chips at the
admissions office, and he got in with the legacies and political favors) or that
his financial aid is significantly different than the financial aid indicators
say he should get.  If you don't fall into those categories -- for example you
got in on academic merit -- then you better make damn sure that it's a school
that you like, because your hockey career may be over in October.

Clay

Greg, sorry for the duplicate messages.