Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 20:11:35 EDT
In a message dated 9/2/2003 1:15:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
It would seem that someone should sue the Ivys as a restraint on trade
(Colgate would be a good candidate) for not opening up the conference. Just some
food for thought. I wonder if the same schools (D3) that field D1 women will also
have to exclude those teams or will the PC police exempt them?
The suit to open up the Ivies would not even be a novel idea. These elitist
institutions should embrace the ideal of competing with like minded
institutions. Admit Colgate or RPI to the Ivy League and their undergraduate applications
would rise as would their SAT scores because people think that "Ivy League"
means something-being in close proximity to Columbia one can only ponder what
that means. If you want to have a serious discussion instead of a personal
attack-think of a group of elitist schools with obscene early admission games, all
with costs that suspiciously come within a few dollars of each other, that
alter the lives of applicants in a totally arbitrary way and are linked together
by a sports conference. As to "freedom of association"- I think that was
Lester Maddox mantra fighting civil rights. If other similar sized schools with
high academic standards who are willing to accept the Ivy mission statement-why
shouldn't they be invited in to break the mystique. A Colgate would bring more
to the athletic party than Columbia or Brown. Me thinks the 2nd tier Ivy
schools (hint not Yale, Harvard, or Princeton) would lose some of their
nonsensical elitism without the cartel as it presently exists. It would be interesting
to see if that happened. As to Title IX issues-watch what happens if and when
Men's D1 grandfathering is phased out-then we'll see if the same rules would
apply to women's sports who grandmothered.