From:
"Anthony J. Buffa" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony J. Buffa
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:25:58 -0700
Hello Hockey-Lers from the land of The Recall,

For those of you are following the stupid D-III proposal which would, de
facto, eliminate D-I hockey at RPI and others, not to mention lacrosse
at Johns Hopkins:

Several of us RPIers wrote to Dr. Brand, who then referred our emails to
a Dan Dutcher for further explanation of the D-III proposal. I actually
did not get a response from Dutcher, but several did, and they appear to
be "canned" much as Brand's was.

Below his response is an initial letter from an RPI alum, Jack
Cunningham. I have his permission to forward both to you.

FWIW, here it is. I find it, at best, irritating. In spots, he certainly
is wrong - - - like RPI could play D-I hockey without scholarships.
Sure, and the Midget football teams could play the 49ers too. Yeah, right.

And what is this about the hockey landscape having changed? To me, the
big change was when divisions were created. Before that (up til about
1965) schools like RPI could compete without scholarships, since the
sport wasnt big time in a lot of schools and one could field a good team
with 10 good players (I recall most of my RPI teams had a max of 12).
When the big schools began really going after it , then the only way the
Clarksons and RPIs could continue to schedule them was to offer
scholarships. I believe brief consideration was given to dropping to
D-III in the 70s (esp after the poor record of the late 60s), but then
the opportunity to offer scholarships and compete at D-I was taken.

So what is so different now? In a sense, it is even more imperative
nowadays for the D-III schools to give scholarships, because more
schools are taking it seriously. If not, we will be D-I in name only and
that will be very sad.

Please feel free to respond to either Brand or Dutcher. I might respond
to Dutcher, but likely not. It seems we might have the votes to cancel
this thing. Scary thing is if it is on the floor, it has a chance to pass.

Tony Buffa
RPI '64