From:
Steve Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:34:11 -0400
I am surprised that no one has relied from SLU.  SLU only recently changed
to offering athletic scholarships.  The operated like Union and Colgate
(and the Ivy's) until only a few years ago with need based financial
aide.  I did not observe that the change made any significant difference in
their program.  With need based financial aide you are not subject to the
18 scholarship limit for athletic scholarships.  One of the reasons offered
when SLU changed to athletic scholarships was that it would actually cost
the university less.  I think they could switch back and be just fine.

Clarkson and RPI have a long history of offering scholarships this change
would be much more difficult for them.  However, I think they could make a
go if it.    I don't think that moving to Div. 2 is an option for them as
it may be for Colorado College.

Steve