Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:41:15 EST
As I have read comments about who got hosed, and who got a gift, it seems to
me that the committee did a good job given the rules the criteria they were
assigned.  We all new going into the selections that there was not much room
for flexibility, given the home teams and the desire to avoid first round
match-ups within conferences.  The committee did not really have much of a
choice (heck, I was able to get 14 of the 16 teams into the correct slot, I
only had StC and Mankato reversed).

When it gets down to it, our big issue is not with the committee, but with
the rather rigid criteria.  We all know that the top seeds deserve to play
the bottom seeds, but with the limited number of conferences, first round
conference match-up prohibitions are always going to occur.  Unless they
remove that prohibition, (which the NCAA has in all sports, so do not expect
it to change), we just have to live with it not always working out.  Cornell
loses out this year, while Minnesota gets a break.  So be it.

The criteria that really caused the problems is the home team issue.  We have
been through all the arguments that unless this occurs, the western venues
will not have any fans at the regional versus the unfairness of a mid ranked
team getting home games while a top seed must battle a hostile crowd.  As
long as the attendance at regionals is dependent on who plays where, rather
than an opportunity to see good teams play, this criterion cannot change.  It
actually says more about college hockey fans than we might like to
acknowledge.  Men's basketball has enough fan interest that they can require
neutral site games, but it is the only sport that can do it.  In most others,
the higher seed gets home field, but in hockey, we base the home rink on bids
made years in advance.  As long as this is the case, teams like Michigan get
a boost, Maine feels a bit hosed, and CC is glad that their home team is not
the Gophers.

If we were able to avoid the home rink problem, the tournament would look
something like (seeded 1-16, 2-15 etc., then eliminate first round conference
match-ups)

Cornell - Mankato, BC-Mich  @ Wor
CC - Mercyhurst, Ferris-ND  @ Msp
Mn - Wayne State, Me-OSU    @ AA
UNH - StC, BU -Harvard  @ Prov

Same #1-#4 games, flip Mich and OSU, and move bracket a bit for #2-#3 games.
The real change is the sites.  Now no-one would view Michigan as an
undeserved favorite, and Me would feel a bit better with its draw.  Cornell
still seems short changed, while Mn still benefits, but that is due to the
(perceived by RPI and PWR) depth of the WCHA more than anything else (replace
Mankato with Dartmouth or Providence, and the problem goes away).

Enough of this, let the games begin.

William Sangrey
Cornell '87&'94
Let's Go RED!!!