From:
"Anthony J. Buffa" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony J. Buffa
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 10:58:57 -0700
Well, for what it is worth from a person living in CA who saw his first
game of the season on Saturday over the airwaves :-), here goes:

 I thought Hauser could have had as many as three penalties. There was
the headknock (which was dangerous, sending a player crashing behind the
net towards the boards), the trip in OT I believe (on a valid scoring
rush and also dangerous), and also the poke with the stick earlier in
the game on a player who was heading towards him.

My question is does he always play like that and does he never get
penalized? What gives with that guy?

I also thought that the Maine goalie looked very jittery, tense and
unsure in the first period especially, and I thought this affected the
play of the whole team. He dropped his stick once, headed for the bench
on a delayed penalty on his own team,etc.  Later on, after settling
down, the whole team picked it up a bit and I thought played at least as
well as Minnesota during second and third period. Still, he looked, at
times, lost on shots that werent directly at him through much of the game.

I also thought that Schutte was penalized un-necessarily on a marginal
call at best, what looked like was a missed check, but hey, if Maine had
taken care of the last few minutes of the game, they'd have won.

Anyway, it was a very exciting game, and a wonderful showcase of the
best that college hockey has to offer. Certainly much more entertaining,
wide open and exciting than your usual NHL game.

Tony Buffa
RPI '64

[log in to unmask] wrote:

That may have been true for three periods, but not the overtime. How an
attempted hip check becomes a trip is beyond me. Hauser took away a
scoring opportunity because the player he tripped was going after the
puck in the corner. Hauser had to punch three players attempting to go
around the net before they called it in the WCHA tournament, so I guess
he was told to stop at two on Saturday.