From:
Bryan Hanssen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bryan Hanssen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:59:59 -0500
According to the rulebook posted at the NCAA Web site, "If an infraction of
the rules calling for a minor, major, misconduct, game misconduct or
disqualification penalty is committed by a player of the side in possession
of the puck, the appropriate on-ice official shall blow the whistle
immediately and a referee shall assess the penalties."

So, yes the linesman should have blown the whistle. We can only guess as to
why it wasn't. My assumption is because he was at the opposite end of the
ice he was too far away from the action and wasn't sure who had possession.
Had BU scored, hopefully the linesman would have instructed the ref to wave
it off. I can only imagine the debate we all would be having had BU scored
and the goal stood.

Bryan

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 12:42:18 -0500, MacKinnon, John
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>When a linesman calls a penalty, must he/she wait until a stoppage of play
>to call it?
>
>Last night during the Beanpot Final, BU goaltender Fields got a slashing
>penalty while BU carried the puck up ice for two great scoring chances.
The