From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rowe, Thomas
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:11:56 -0600
I'm not sure I grasp this response.  It looks like the entire message is a quote, but I assume the quoted part is the first sentence (from me) and the rest is the reply.

Let me begin by suggesting Div III is hardly "pure."  I would also suggest that schools who want a big time program will find creative ways to lure the best athletes to their programs (and no, I don't care to elaborate on what I mean by "creative").  But in general, what if there were no Div I, II, III?  What if all there was were conferences and NOBODY issued athletic scholarships?   In such a world, are you so sure that the current Div I schools would always win over the hearts of the student athletes versus the current Div III schools?  Note that some Div I schools are a lot smaller than some Div III schools (e.g., we have 3 times the student enrollment of CC and twice that of Notre Dame, but we are Div III) so size per se isn't an issue.

Hey, its not a realistic possibility - just some idle speculation.

TR