From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne T. Smith
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 12:34:27 -0500
My comments inserted here and there ...
On 1 Feb 2002 at 16:44, Deron Treadwell wrote, in part:
> Sometimes when the infractions occur after the whistle the ref will keep
> play at 5 on 5 I've noticed.

That's true, but not causal.  The two are independent!

Any and all penalties called at one stop in play are deemed to have
happened at the same time. So you are right, Deron, sometimes
coincidental minors result in 5x5 and sometimes on 4x4, but it does
*not* matter whether the penalties were on a "delayed penalty", "quick
whistle" or "after the whistle" (keep reading!). :-)

(Tom Rowe wrote, in part..)
> > Could it have been matching double-minors?  Matching minors does lead
> > to 4
> on 4, but if its double minors, then it stays 5 on 5.

Tom has it right.  For the case of both teams at full strength and one
minor penalty called on each team, the penalties go on the board and
there are no substitutions: 4x4.

For both teams at full strength and each team receiving multiple and
equal number of minor penalties at the same stoppage of play, nothing
goes on the clock and there is immediate substitution of the penalized
players. These are called coincidental minors.

I'd need at least another cup of coffee to try to explain all other
cases, but this explains what Mark saw  ;-)    ...

Mark Lewin [mailto:[log in to unmask] wrote, in part..
> There was an altercation at the end of a play and the referee called
>  matching minors. He sent the two players off the ice and play
> continued with 5 players on each time (plus the goalies).
> I thought the rule was that matching minors at 5 on 5 results
> Later on in the same game, there  were matching minors and the
> teams played 4 on 4.

Hope this helps, wayne

Wayne T. Smith                    mailto:[log in to unmask]
Systems Group - UNET              University of Maine System
The College Hockey mailing lists: Hockey-L & Hockey3 at
http://lists.Maine.edu/