From:
"Anthony J. Buffa" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony J. Buffa
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:04:07 -0800
Well, Eric, it isnt an attitude, it is a feeling a lot of faculty have.
The way it SHOULD work is  the faculty (through their senates and league
structures) that should govern this, not the coaches. After all, college
is supposed to be for academics.

.... perhaps we should just go to a proposal I, for one, support, since
it doesnt seem likely that D-I college sports will ever go away. That
is, ket the colleges hire the students to play semi-pro hockey, and if
they go to school, fine, if not, fine. Give them a salary instead of a
scholarship and just let it go. It certainly beats the system we have
now which leads to all kinds of illegal and marginal problems. Most
faculty at D-I schools,if they are interested, know there is a problem.
But the dollars wag the dog.

Although I love D-I hockey, most of you know, I think the proper model
for college sports is non-scholarship D-III. I have seen too many bad
things happen at D-I over the years. That is where I am coming from, as
they say :-)

Hence, I ask: No flames please!!

Tony Buffa

=======