From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 11:23:09 -0500
Referee Dan Murphy is solidifying his reputation as the worst ECAC referee (following in a long line of greats such as
Harry Amian and Pierre Belanger). Cheers from long time fans
at the Houston Field House were heard to ring out from all quarters last night "Bring back Amian" and "We miss you Harry".

That being said, Harvard shut out the Engineers on Friday night
just about ending RPI's shot at home ice in the opening round of the ECAC playoffs. There is no question in my mind that, tonight,the better team won.  Harvard outskated the Engineers, out checked them along the boards and out hustled them for the better part of the game. RPI did have a number of great chances
but either hit the post (twice) or just missed the net.
Mostly, though, it was the combination of Crimson goalie
Oliver Jonas playing stingy and giving up very few rebounds.
Those he gave up were quickly swept away by the Harvard defense
who never left him stranded.

Did Murphy cost RPI the game? He made some miserable calls
that left RPI down by 2 men on a number of occasions.
However, none of those allowed Harvard to score. Whether the man down situations prevented RPI from scoring is a question no-one can answer. I feel comfortable in saying that Murphy did not
lose that game for RPI, Harvard went out and won it for themselves.

As I said, the better team won. And you just can't expect anything better than that.

Mark Lewin
class of '69