From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 22:30:18 -0500
On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Andrew Weise wrote:

> Brown scored with 0.3 (yes, that's three-tenths) seconds left in the third
> period to earn a 2-2 tie with Union tonight in Schenectady.

Yes, at least three of us looked up after seeing the puck in the net
and saw 0.3 seconds remaining.  The clock never stopped, but the
buzzer did not sound when it hit 0.0.  The crowd protested, but the
right call was definitely made.  The goal was announced as "19:59" but
it really was "20:00", as there was no faceoff to play out the end of
the third.  The next faceoff was in overtime.  Of all the
buzzer-beater hockey goals I've seen, this was the closest to the
buzzer.

The tying goal spoiled what was an outstanding game for Union goalie
Brandon Snee.  He stopped Brown on point blank shots over and over,
especially in the second period.  He is certainly not to blame in this
one, as Brown's first goal was a bouncing and spinning puck that found
its way into the corner, and his defense completely abandoned him in
the final seconds (well, really most of the final two periods).

Union did build a 2-0 lead in the first by capitalizing on Brown
defensive mistakes.  Charles Simard and Bryan Yackel scored the Union
goals.

> Union and RPI swap opponents tomorrow night. Harvard comes in to
> Schenectady for Senior night at Achilles.

Senior night ceremonies will be after the game to make sure most of
the crowd can see it.  There is also an alumni game earlier in the
day, but I did not catch the starting time in the announcement.

Combined with the rest of the ECAC results from tonight, Union finds
itself in a 9th-place tie with Vermont at 16 points.  According to
WRPI, Union holds the tiebreaker over Vermont, pending tomorrow
night's game against Harvard (record against the top 5).  With only
three points separating 6th from 11th, Brown's tying goal could make a
huge difference in the final standings.  Brown took 3 of 4 points from
Union this season.  Colgate is now the odd man out, one point back in
11th.  But remember that Union has to visit Colgate next Friday.

--
Jim Teresco - [log in to unmask] - http://www.cs.williams.edu/~terescoj
Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science