From:
John T Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 10:40:52 -0600
Bill Fenwick:

>> Oh, I don't know about that... there was that mini-controversy at the end
>> of the second period, when Cornell's Mark McRae fired a shot into the Maine
>> net as the horn sounded.  Had the goal counted, the Big Red would have had
>> a 2-1 lead, but the officials waved it off (probably hotly disputed by
>> Cornell, as the Big Red wound up with a bench minor to start the third) and
>> the game remained tied.

Jeff Anbinder:

> From our perspective in the stands, we were a little miffed, but the
> general consensus was that McRae took the shot before the buzzer, but the
> puck didn't cross the line until the moment the buzzer sounded or perhaps
> just a tiny bit after, hence no goal.

I was looking right at it, and I can honestly say I have no idea if
the puck crossed the line before or after the buzzer.  (It took me a
moment to realize the buzzer had even sounded, since the rink set off
one of those annoying horns every time someone scored.)  The only
thing I have a problem with in situations like this is when people say
it can't be a goal because the green light is on.  That means the goal
judge didn't try to turn on the goal light before the buzzer, but it
can still happen that the buzzer sounds between the puck crossing the
line and the goal judge reacting to it.  (Having grown up on football
and baseball, I also still have some psychological trouble with the
idea that time can run out during a play.)

> Anyway, Ian Burt saved that game from being a total, humiliating blowout
> with his 0.939 performance.  Maine pretty much dominated.

Although the defense also acted heroically to block about a dozen more
shots, including one save by David Francis on the goal line.  Still,
it's a shame there was no room for Burt on the all-tourney team, with
Yeats putting in a solid performance both nights.

                                          John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/

Consider the alternative: http://slack.net/~whelan/cgi-bin/tbrw.cgi?kpairwise