From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:23:14 +0800
Rick McAdoo writes (in part):

>BC's Brooks Orpik
>got a cross-checking call (a weak one, in my opinion) high in the BC
>defensive zone.

>Tempers got a little hot late in the period when Orpik got a tripping call
>on a center-ice hit on UNH's Jim Abbott, who went down with a knee injury.
>It looked like a knee-on-knee hit and Abbott was down for several minutes
>before being helped off the ice, not putting weight on the right leg.  He
>did not return and is expected to be out for some time with a possible ACL
>injury.  Predictably, I suppose, the UNH camp thought the hit was not a
>fair one, and the BC people thought it was a good hit but unlucky to cause
>an injury.

Rick, you must have had your Maroon and Gold colored glasses on for this
game.  The kid is a goon, period.  The cross-check was standard fair and
could only be termed a "weak one" if you are using the Orpik standard for
penalties.  You know, how outrageous was it compared to the other ones he
has been whistled for.

As for the "knee-on-knee hit" . . . . give me a break.  I would have to say
that the description you give is also "predictable". It was a leg check,
for god's sake.  I was sitting four rows from the ice, right in front of
the play.  Abbott was about to go right by Orpik when your "defenseman"
stuck his leg out to slow him down.  You have been following hockey long
enough to know that this type of play is one of the most dangerous in
hockey.  My personal opinion is that a tape should be sent to the league
for review. If it was up to me, Orpik would sit out as long as Abbott has
to.  Period.

Greg Ambrose