From:
Kyle Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kyle Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 15:51:19 EST
From what I've seen, RPI has been slipping due to injuries, sickness and
gradual loss of confidence.  After the game verse Yale they looked decent
and seemed set on a battle with Colgate and St. Lawrence for the top 2
spots.  The next night against Princeton they were without Joel Laing(I
believe from the flu and swollen glands) and had Scott Prekaski play.  While
Prekaski is far from a bad goalie, RPI doesn't seem to play with the same
confidence as they do when Laing is in.  Prekaski gave up 4 goals, none of
them bad, but it was enough to give Princeton the win, who pretty much
outplayed the Engineers.  Danny Eberly, a top 4 defensemen for the Engineers
was also out with an injury.  I'm not sure if Laing played against Colgate
at Starr, but from what I heard at the radio RPI, as usual during the slump,
dug themselves into a hole they couldn't climb out of.  Versus Cornell, RPI
got off to a 2-0 lead but gave up 3 goals within 15 minutes and that's how
it ended.  Again, based on what I heard on the radio, they were outplayed
for the majority of the game.  Weak defense really showed up here as they
allowed 61 shots to get to Scott Prekaski, which he saved 58 of for 95%
saves.  Clarkson was far and away their worst game of the year, getting down
3-0 and letting Clarkson absolutely dominate.  RPI was without top freshman
Marc Cavosie as he had an injury, yet I have a hard time believing they
would have won the game with him in.  Danny Eberly is out for the year, and
his absense certainly did contribute to the absolute defensive breakdown
over the streak.  Against St. Lawrence, some bad bounces and heads up plays
by St. Lawrence got them a 3-1 lead.  St. Lawrence scored another in the
second and then the referees absolutely preventing RPI from having any
chance whatsoever to climb out of the 3 goal hole.  Over this 5 game
stretch, absolute lack of defense and the absense of Eberly, and Cavosie and
Laing at times has prevented the normal type of play that RPI uses.  The
transition game was non-existent without the ability to clear the puck out
of the zone.  Some lost confidence also contributed to the streak.  That's
just my take on things.

Kyle Smith
My AOL Instant Messenger screen name is DexterJKL.

And Remember...Exacto knives ARE a necessary evil