Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 13:48:42 -0500
From Dan Doucette:
<Let's start a campaign:  to remove the middle "o"
from the word sophomore.  Who the hell uses
it, anyway, now that Keith Jackson is retired ?>

Better keep it around for now, as Keith seems to have unretired & called
some PAC-10 games this year.  :-)

From Eric Burton;
Though, Bob McKenzie of the Hockey News
> said in an issue, " There is an inherent consent to violence when you
lace
on
> those skates. " Do you agree?

    Yes you do? Exhibit a would be last nights game between UND and
Denver.
You get cross checked slashed run into the boards, have a dirty player try
to take out the opponents knee, which happened, nasty. This is hockey, this
is what the sport has come down to with poor officiating and the DQ for
fighting, if the refs don't call it you have to play the game the way the
game stands much like golf you play the ball where it lies unless you
cheat.
My point is unless you want to start issueing handcuffs pistols and badges
hockey is going to be the way it is now, quit watching or except it and
move
on.
    In the NHL they have cracked down on violent issues, guys are getting 4
games for slashing, 5 games for dirty hits, Collin Camble is like a Police
commisioner and he is laying out some heavy fines. What else do you want,
we
can't give the players kevlar helments and body armor that will stop 50
caliber bullets. Hockey is like racing or football, every time you step on
the ice you play like it will be your last time out there. If someone gets
hurt or killed they pick up the injured and restart the game.  Life is
imperfect, but It is getting sickening to have people constantly messing
with the game of hockey, what next no checking, boy that is a great idea?
Padded boards?>

Seems to me like a somewhat innocent question from Vicki about agreeing
with a 3rd-party quote has brought out a heavy reply on your part Eric.  I
don't think she was implying no checking or padded boards (Vicki, jump in
here if I'm wrong), but whether there's an inherent consent to violance
when you lace them up.  I agree with Todd Neilson's reply that no, there
isn't.  I think there's a big difference between good, clean body checks
(which are part of the game), & violent behavior with intent to injure
(which isn't new to the game, but unfortunately we continue to see).  And
it seems to be happening more often at the youth levels as well (or at
least we're hearing about it more often).  There are probably many reasons
for that, which could be its own thread.  But I'd venture a guess their own
parents & coaches value systems, as well as watching the pros, play a large
part in it.

I do agree with you Eric about poor and/or inconsistent officiating
contributing to the behavioral trend, but I don't think we can blame it on
the refs.  The players themselves must take responsibility for their
actions.  And if their coaches in any way encourage the behavior, then they
too must accept some of the blame.  Stiff fines & suspensions can help send
a reminder that the behavior won't be tolerated, but it still comes back to
the players & coaches.

Like any sport, injuries are part of the game, but not intentional attempts
to injure by opponents.

Anyway, my 2 cents...

Dave Hatfield
UML'86