From:
Garrett Lanzy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Garrett Lanzy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 21:03:00 -0400
John Whelan <[log in to unmask]> wrote on INFO-HOCKEY-L:
>According to a press release available on the official ECAC site
><http://hockey.ecac.com/curpr/m1>, the ECAC (Men's Division I) has
>dropped the three-point series format for the first round of its
>conference playoff.  The ECAC Quintafinals will now be run under the
>same system as the other conferences, best two out of three games,
>with each game producing a winner, using 20-minute overtimes if
>necessary.

I think I better start checking apocalyptic texts.... this has to be one
of the signs of the end of the world.  <g>

Seriously, I think most people will agree that this is a move long
overdue.  And since a likely result is going to be additional playoff
games for ECAC teams, I would hope that the long-term effects
will include better tournament results by ECAC teams due to the
increased experience in playoffs.  It's certainly not a huge factor,
but when you get to the NCAAs, every bit helps.

Anyone have any insight into this decision?  Did RPI effects on NCAA
tournament selection come into the discussion?

Garrett (no, I'm not giving up my WCHA roots!) Lanzy