From:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 12:53:38 -0700
Craig wrote:

> For those of you who have not played, you cannot understand what I have
> said above. I am not saying that you are not knowledgeable fans, or
> supporters, but like all things, unless you have experienced it, it's
> sometimes hard to relate to.

Agreed, with illustration.

I had very strong opinions against fighting as a college fan.  Having now
watched a non-trivial number (70-80) of WHL games, in which fighting is
permitted and fairly frequent, my opinions have certainly modified to some
extent, but that isn't the point.  The point is that the opinions I held
*before* I had actually seen a great deal of the other side of the coin
were grounded in ignorance.  And to a large extent, they still are, since I
operate as observer rather than player.  That's the difference between
opinion and experience -- the theoretical and the real.

-- Greg