From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward N. Moller
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 14:43:56 -0500
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future."

--Nils Bohr, Nobel laureate in Physics (although I always thought it was
originally attributed to Mark Twain)

The only choice I went on the record on the list for was for Coach of the
Year.  My choice (and not my prediction) was Paul Pooley, and I still think
he should have received it.  He has successfully transformed the personality
of his team in just one year from a boring trap-oriented defensive team to
one of the most exciting hard-hitting, fast-skating, and high-scoring groups
I have seen all year.  And I'm not just saying that because Providence owned
BU this year.  Pooley accomplished it despite having a team play in front of
a crowd that provides his team with no home-ice advantage.  Nobody gave
Providence a thought at the beginning of the season (hello self), and now
they stand a chance of winning the conference tournament and going to the
NCAA's.

Big surprise for me was Michel Larocque.  I never thought he would get the
votes considering the league as a whole was dominated by goaltending this
year.  His stats were badly skewed by the vacuum in front of him known as
BU's defensive corps.  Check out the goalies in HEA -- Conklin, Matile,
Michaud, Clemmensen, Fankhouser, Helanen, and Ballard.  Every one of them
had a better goals against average than Larocque (Helanen tied), while
Larocque's save percentage put him only in a fifth place tie for the league.
The one department he led the league in was minutes played.

OK, I will make one prediction.  I will hereby go on the record and predict
that the Hobey Baker award winner is Jason.

Edward N. Moller
Controller
Mount Ida College
Newton Centre, MA  02459-3323