From:
Mark Toussaint <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:10:52 EST
First off, great game Sunday! I thought both teams played really well, and the
game-winning goal was amazing. I hope to see UNH get some revenge at the Whitt
in March!

Now, for anyone sick of the "UNH Players Arrested" incident, hit the "delete"
key now. If you don't, you've got nothing to complain about. You do, after
all, choose what you read...

And now on to Dan's nonsense:

In a message dated 2/4/1999 9:08:21 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> In all humility, I just knew the story had to be bigger than the morsels
>  thrown about in the initial story on February 1.  Case in point:  headline
>  from Foster's two days later, on Feb. 3 (posted on this list):
>
>            "UNH policy unclear in athlete arrest cases"

Did you say humility? Are you sure that's the word you were looking for?

>  If the handling of this case is not clear to the writers from Foster's, the
>  same paper that "broke" the story, why should I be villified on this list
>  for voicing my own suspicions, earlier than everyone else  ?  It seems
>  Foster's is doing its own mea culpa...

Did you read the story? It said absolutely nothing that would back up your
accusations. It was a simple follow-up story. Who is this "everyone else" that
is now voicing suspicions? Foster's? Their question was whether or not the
students will be suspended. Your statement is that Dick Umile cheats and the
Durham PD is corrupt because they all covered up the incident. The two have
nothing to do with each other. One is a legitimate question, which I suspect
will be answered shortly. The other is a false accusation, which says a lot
more about the one pointing the finger than about the accused.

Here are a couple of paragraphs that you may have missed:

1). " Not all university-related incidents are directed to the office of
student life. If an incident takes place off-campus, as this one did, there is
less of a chance the matter will be brought up with the office of student
life, Fischer said. "

2). "NCAA rules do not include any policies requiring schools to take action
against student-athletes charged with a crime."

Doesn't sound like Umile did anything wrong...

>  Remember: it's not the crime...it's the cover-up.

Keep saying it over and over and it might be true. Remember, Dan -- It's not
the cover-up... It's your imagination.

-Mark