From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 20:29:26 -0500
[log in to unmask],.Internet writes:
>Deron Treadwell makes some excellent points about Maine's transgressions
>and subsequent punishment.  But he should reread the post that began
>this
>thread before he accuses UNH of not being able to "let it go."  Mr.
>Doucette, a Maine fan, was the first to yell "coverup", referring to
>Coach
>Umile, and Vicki Price, another Maine fan, is the one who assumes that
>other schools cheat like Maine did. (And Vicki, I like those four letter
>words!)/

I did read Dan's original post and one of the reasons I made the post I
did was beacuse I do not necessarily agree with his assertions.  I
posted to provide a different Maine perspective.

I can certainly understand Dan's frustrations, but unlike Dan, I am not
looking for other school's to be hurt or for other consipiracies or
coverups.  If ANYONE should be against this it should be Maine fans.
How could we ever wish what happened to our school on anyone else?  I
don't think a person is a true fan of the game if you are wishing evil
upon other schools.

No, I don't have proof that Vicki is right that other schools make
mistakes, but if I was to make a bet, the money is on that at least one
other school in the entire Division I college hockey has broken a rule.
 Secondary violations happen all the time at nearly every school (those
were the violations that made up the majority of Maine's offenses), but
as long as a school reports the violation nothing generally happenes.
At Maine, there were things going on that some people didn't even know
about or understand and in some cases were probably ignored.  Do
similar situations to Maine happen most everyone?  No.  But is Maine
alone? I think not, and that is too bad.

>Like Deron, "I have said it before and will say it again".  My problem
>with
>Maine is that the guy who was at the helm when all the violations
>occurred
>that led to the sanctions is still there.  Yes UMaine paid the price (a
>2nd
>year's suspension) for not firing him but I still say their decision
>shows
>that the school falls short ethically.  He should have been gone and
>until
>he is, I cannot respect either the program or the school.

This is a fair argument.  Personally speaking, I don't have a desire to
make everyone love or respect Shawn Walsh.  Heck, there are people in
MAINE that have no respect for him.

Ethics in this case is in the eye of the beholder.  A compelling
argument can be made that says keeping Walsh is the more moral decision
because it gave a human being a chance to face his detractors and
attone for his errors.  But you are right to say that this rarely
happens.

But it is fair and just to believe Walsh should have been fired and no
one should argue that.  I think it is also fair for Maine people to
feel that their penalty has been served and that it is time to move on.

>And one last thing, which I had almost forgotten about.  Last year when
>the
>Boston Globe ran an article about the problems at Maine, I was told by
>several Maine supporters, including I think Deron, that the University
>would have a formal response.  Since the Globe runs an Ombudsmen column
>every Monday, I assumed that I would see the administration's reply in
>the
>column, if not in a separate article.  To date, I'm still looking.

I don't recall this specifically, but what usually happens at Maine
(and perhaps other schools) is that when a paper prints an inaccuracy
the university contacts them, one way or another.  It was my
understanding President Hoff was to write a letter to the Globe
regarding the problems in the story.  I do not work for the university
or have any knowledge as to whether or not this was ever done, but I
suspect it was.

-dt