From:
Jim Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:36:36 -0800
>An interesting note is that the ECAC teams recieved five votes(including
>"others"), while the Hockey East recieved 3.  I am not familiar with the
>CCHA and WCHA, but I know that the ECAC had to have recieved more
>votes than one of those conferences too.  I thought that this was an
>interesting note and I would point it out. One more little thing is that
>almost HALF of the ECAC was recognized in the poll.

Or you could look at it by total points per conference. Here's the list of
total points per conference with number of teams in parathesis.

HE  -  586 (3)
CCHA  -  515 (4)
WCHA  -  449 (4)
ECAC  -  100 (6)

This shows Hockey East to be the far better conference since only three
teams have a higher total than 4, 4 and 6 teams in the other conferences.
Also, this shows the ECAC to be by far the weakest conference since with a
total of 6 teams they could only manage a measly 100 points.

You can manipulate numbers to make any point you want.  The media,
politicians, and national pollsters do it all the time.

Jim Walker