Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:25:47 -0700
Have read the box and recap of Sunday's match and quite frankly, many
questions abound.

Why the heck did BU play Jason Tapp in goal? Right now it looks like
Merrimack and BU will be battling all the way through the HEA playoffs
(assuming they finish 4th and 5th as they are now), so it seems to me BU
would make this matchup a priority. Did Parker feel that given the 5-5 game
on Friday, that Laroque was due for a rest? Why not wait for a game against
Amherst or Northeastern?

By the box score, BU appears to have dominated play in the 3rd period in
racking up 17 shots on goal. Tom Welby (Merrimack) made 42 saves for the
win -- was he just "en fuego" or were the BU shots not of any quality?

What about the BU defense? Merrimack went 0-4 on the power play, and
allowed Corazzini to score a shorthanded one for BU. They also allowed 24
shots, only 6 in the final period. Does this point to Tapp's inexperience,
or did the BU defense allow too many breakaways?

Also interesting to note that BU had Tapp out of the net for (presumably)
the final 1:37 of the game; no empty netter for the Warriors, so I'd guess
BU put on some good pressure there. Did they get any chances, did Welby
save the day for Merrimack? Given that Merrimack's final goal was scored at
5:54 of the 3rd period, did BU really dominate for the remaining 14 minutes?

After the performances surrounding the holidays and tuesday's game against
Maine, I have to admit I was expecting a bit more than 1 point in two
matches against Merrimack.

Odd. Usually BU has a losing record in December and wins everything from
January through March. This year they go 5-1 in December and are 0-1-2 in
January.

Talk about an odd year!

greenie