From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne T. Smith
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 11:54:42 -0500
VPP wrote, in part..
> P.S. This is a note to the list admin. Quirky but true, my Hockey--L posts are
> being misrouted somehow, landing up in a USATODAY mail address, coming back as
> mailer-daemon, unsendable, and then eventually getting posted on the list
> (much to the dismay, I'm sure of many listers.)

Thanks for mentioning this, Vicky.  None of the listeners saw the
problem, just posters.  But I'll explain to everyone since everyone is a
potential poster and may someday see this.

Hockey-L *had* a subscriber (at USATODAY) and distributions to that
subscriber were, for whatever reason, undeliverable.  The mail system
there (at USATODAY) should have rejected the mail back to Hockey-
L's LISTSERV address, but it instead bounced it back to the "From:"
address, the poster (Vicky in this case).

So, Vicky's contributions to Hockey-L were sent properly and were
distributed properly to all subscribers (and redistributions) ... except to
the offending mail system (at USATODAY).

Whenever such a thing happens (you get one or more pieces of e-
mail due to your posting to one of the college hockey lists at
Maine.edu, please forward it in it's entirety (including the entire e-mail
header) to me ([log in to unmask]) so that I may correct the problem.

Until someone does that (or I post and see the problem myself), other
posters will get a "bounce message" also ... and probably be confused
and frustrated by it.

In this case, the problem was corrected at about 4:15pm yesterday.

Thanks for your participation in the college hockey lists,
wayne

Wayne T. Smith                             mailto:[log in to unmask]
Systems Group - UNET                 University of Maine System
Co-owner of the College Hockey mailing lists