From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 23:49:04 -0500
Score is decieving, as Haahvaahd(Harvard) got 2 Empty netters in the final
minute. This was a one goal game for 59 minutes.

Early going, the ref(one of the Shegos brothers) made a bunch of
questionable calls. 2 goals were waved off due to man in the crease calls, 1
for each team. Another time the red light came on for an apparent UNO goal,
but the game played on (I couldn't see this one from the other end of the
ice, was it in or did the goal judge mess up?). He settled down though and
called a pretty good game from that point on.

All in all, UNO gave a much better effort than last weekend, but their
inexperience and inability to light the lamp really showed up. No posts to
blame tonight. The first empty net goal by Harvard was inexcusable. The UNO
defenseman (I think Bencurik) had the inside step on the puck, then
inexplicably turned around and took out his man instead of gaining control
of the puck. Meanwhile another Haahvaahd player raced down, put the puck in
front of the empty net and saw it tipped in. Didn't see the 2nd empty netter
as the first one got me out of my seat and toward my car.

The difference in powerplays was amazing. Even though neither team got a
powerplay goal, Harvard kept UNO moving the whole time. When UNO had the
powerplay, it seemed like they just stood still, and didn't make Harvard do
much. UNO was hurt by the loss of Tortorella after last year more than I
realized.

UNO had 1 breakaway, 2 or 3 partial breakaways, and numerous odd-man rushes
in the third, and couldn't capitalize. The breakaway was UNO's best chance,
and they did draw a penalty from it, but couldn't capitalize. UNO also had a
bunch of tipped shots from the point go just wide of the net. UNO had a
great chance late when someone got a rebound with the goalie out of
position, but the puck handcuffed him and he never pulled the trigger.

I was glad to see UNO get hte puck on goal more so than last weekend. They
didn't have as many shots miss the net completely.

Other news and notes:

First time at the Bullpen I haven't seen any sign of a visitor's section.
Didn't any Haahvaahd fans make the trip?

Crowd was late arriving tonight. Kinda amazing, During
introductions/national anthem, I swear the place was over half empty. By the
time they dropped the puck 3 minutes later it was over half full, and by the
5 minute mark there were a good 6,000+ people there. (going for 2 fer 2 on
my attendance guesses) Hopefully the sellout streak continued, 250 tickets
were available before gametime.

Low blow by the PA announcer: After a little kid made a shot from the near
blue line on an empty net during intermission (he won a boom box I believe),
he said they should take him to the locker room and suit him up.

Anyone else notice the bulls in the background as he said "Good evening and
welcome to the Bullpen!"? Nice touch I thought.

Anastos, CCHA commish, got a good ovation when he was announced in
attendance before the game.

Again, UNO gave a much better effort tonight. Hopefully they can do that
again tomorrow and this time put the biscuit in the basket more than once.
===============================
      Ben Flickinger
E-Mail:    [log in to unmask]
(Stanley Cup Champion) Detroit Red Wings Fan for Life
Proud resident of Bugaha(Omaha)-Home of the FIRST Jim Rome World Tour Stop.
U!N!0! U!N!O!
Everyone can have a bad century or two. Cubbies all the way in 1999.
QOTW: "HEEEEEEeeeeeeeeee Shoots! He Scores!" (Hockey announcers everywhere)