From:
Craig Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 08:02:43 -0500
Responding to the message of <v03130302b241a6b46aa0@[10.0.2.15]>
from Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>:

> The Maine-UNO games will be listed in the overall record for both teams.
> Don't get confused by the mention that the games will not count in the RPI.
> That's all that means.
>
> The other is that the conference SIDs all got together and agreed not to
> include the results or stats from games vs Canadian teams in their
> record/stats.  So all games vs Canadian teams will be listed as exhibitions.
>
> NCAA individual and team stats have generally included all games against
> NCAA teams.  So I would expect the stats from these games to be included as
> well unless something has changed in that area.

Two things to remember:

Regarding national rankings--Those have nothing to do with RPI during the
regular season. The RPI is only used to select teams for the NCAA tournament.
Hence, for example, Maine losing to Omaha would probably drop them in national
polls, even though it would not affect them in the RPI.

Regarding statistics--The NCAA has finally published an Ice Hockey
Statisticians' Manual and, like all of its other stat manuals, Section 1,
Article 1 reads "Only contests against United States varsity intercollegiate
teams of four-year (or senior), degree-granting institutions shall be included
in individual and team statistics, won-lost-tied records and coaching records.
Contests against service, professional, semiprofessional, amateur, junior
college, international and club teams are specifically excluded."

Some schools have followed this in regards to hockey and some have not.
However, now that it's actually in writing, it seems everyone will now follow.

Craig Roberts, University of Minnesota
Assistant Sports Information Director
Check out the Gophers on the Web at http://www.gophersports.com
Or call the Diet Coke Gopher Sports Hotline at (612) 626-STAT
GO GOPHERS!

Women's National Collegiate Ice Hockey Stats are at:
 www.gophersports.com/sportsNews/press_release.asp?news_id=273