From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 16:32:39 -0400
At 03:22 PM 10/7/98 -0400, Jim Love wrote:
>  I'd agree that the Committee made a good call, but I'll believe it when I
>see it re: reporting of records/statistics.  Maine was ranked #8 in the USCHO
>Pre-season Poll at 0-0-0, and opens play this weekend with two games at UNO.
>USCHO should (and probably will) report their record as 0-0-0 next week no
>matter what happens in Omaha, but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts there'll be
>a HUGE dust-up about why Maine's record doesn't reflect its games vs. the
>Mavericks, especially if Maine should sweep.  I can already hear the ang-
>uished cries from "out of the woods" that this is yet another examnple of
>continuing coach/media bashing of U-Maine, Walsh, Mom, and apple pie ....

*Sigh*..

We can't let it go can we?  You tell me who is anguished, the Maine people
or the ones who continue to bring this stuff up?

It is really immaterial how USCHO lists Maine's record on their poll.  This
is an absurd post.  It is just yet another attempt to make a dig at Maine.

Let's all remember that the #8 ranked team in the nation (MAINE) has only
16 scholarships this year (Maine is in their final year of NCAA sanctions)
and despite the NCAA problems STILL managed one of the best recruiting
classes in the country this year.  This is the best class since the Paul
Kariya class, hands down.  Guess what?  It's over.  The NCAA punished Maine
and regardless of whether you think it was fair (two year ban is VERY
severe by the way, see Louisville basketball) it is over and done with.
Maine hockey is not dead, in fact it is very much alive.  I know that
really irritates some of you, but here is some advice:  Get over it and
enjoy the sport.

(P.S. - Maine opens next weekend, not this weekend).

- Deron