From:
"Cutler, Ken" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cutler, Ken
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:52:56 U
Message Body (10 lines)
The "ghettoization" of D-1 hockey as Greg Berge characterizes it is almost unavoidable as D-1 expands.  Frankly, some schools are always going to be less able to compete than others in the recruiting battles.  But, what has happened in D-1 hockey is that some smaller (perhaps less well known and possibly less well endowed) institutions (e.g., many of the MAAC schools) have chosen D-1.  As a result it will be an uphill battle for them.  If the administrations of those schools aren't fully supportive the programs will really suffer.  We already know that some well-known schools that are beginning to achieve success (Notre Dame and Ohio State) struggled until adequately supported.  Currently we see other D-1 programs struggling to compete, such as UAA, UAF and others because even with support they find it hard to recruit.

It is clear that those schools will almost never get a player that BU, Minnesota, Michigan or Wisconsin, for example, want.  The MAAC schools are in that same situation but have some even greater problems in some respects because the MAAC is not a full-fledged D-1 conference yet (I heard an unnamed hockey person describe it as a "mongrel conference").  At least UAA and UAF, for example, offer the opportunity to play high visibility programs. Although on the other hand MAAC teams can win something unlike some WCHA and CCHA teams.

D-1 hockey has lost programs recently (Kent and Ill-Chicago) that couldn't compete in the major conferences.  Personally I welcome the MAAC schools and others that are attempting to compete in D-1.  To some extent that perhaps was forced by the demise of D-2 hockey.  And, as someone previously stated, the free market will ultimately sort this out.  Some of these programs will fail as some smaller schools decide not to compete.  But D-1 hockey will ultimately gain in broader fan support and increased numbers of participating schools.

Having said all that, what is wrong with the "ghettoization" of D-1 hockey?  Why shouldn't the MAAC schools be allowed to compete as D-1 programs and try to enjoy the occasional upset.  How does that damage hockey?