From:
"Cutler, Ken" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cutler, Ken
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 08:57:20 U
Message Body (7 lines)
Dave Hendrickson is absolutely on the mark. There are an enormous number of solid but not spectacular players out there who are capable of playing some level of D-1 hockey.  With the growth of Junior A hockey in the U.S. there are a number of players (perhaps not the supposed blue-chippers in those leagues) with a lot of game experience now available to newer programs from the USHL, NAHL and AFHL.  I also agree with Adam Wodon that there is nothing wrong with a "lesser conference" such as the MAAC playing D-1 (just as in basketball) and pulling off the occasional upset.  Over time some of those teams will develop strong programs.

It will be interesting to see where the MAAC recruits its players.  I note that Canisius has recruited 8 Canadians.  That probably makes sense considering its location.  Quinnipiac, Iona and UConn have recruited a few USHL'ers. I haven't seen full lists other than what is posted on the USHL site and the US College Hockey Online.  But, I do believe there are some solid, committed players in the Junior A leagues who could contribute to those programs.  We'll see.