From:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:14:17 -0400
I did not mean to imply that I thought that Junior players were
precluded from going to college.  Indeed I wrote that Steve Vickers
went to the U of Toronto, apparently while playing Junior Hockey for
the Marlboros.  I realize that the major junior leagues fund college
scholarships, although I don't think that this policy was in effect
while Steve Vickers played.

The fact that Steve Vickers attended college (don't know if he
graduated) indicates that he probably could ahve gotten a scholarship
to play NC$$ hockey, but he choce not to.

Now I'll go back to wondering why Matt Garver left RPI. :-)

--- On Tue, 28 Apr 1998 06:58:33 -0600 (MDT)
[log in to unmask] wrote:
>There is an implication in Ralph's post that Junior players are
>precluded
>from attending college.  This is anything but true.  Many of the
>University of Alberta Golden Bears players are former junior players.
> The
>CIAU does not have the same rule structure (thank goodness) as the
>NC$$.
>The Western Hockey League has a program which funds scholarships for
>those
>players who do not go on to a pro career.  Thus one can get the
>hockey
>development junior hockey provides without losing the opportunity to
>attend college.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74