From:
Kirk Eisenbeis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kirk Eisenbeis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 18:51:20 -0500
Okay, you've all heard the thing about every time Kentucky wins that other
men's NCAA sport, the Yankees win the World Series?

(I tried to confirm it, but couldn't find the Kentucky championship years
on the Web)

A friend of mine said that ESPN came up with something also linking the
Yankees to years that Michigan wins the NCAA hockey championship.  I did
some research and found that since 1950 (nice round number between '48 and
'51), all 7 times that Michigan had won it all, the Yankees went TO the
World Series (and won 5 of those 7, too).

I start from 1950 because the Yankees did not make the '48 series, which
was Michigan's (and NCAA's) first hockey championship.

Not a rock-solid correlation, but not bad, either.  Now that both Kentucky
and Michigan have won this year... :)

Kirk