From:
Jim Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 09:16:32 -0700
>        I am not sure where Adam got his figures,  but the idea that
college
>hockey is ahead of women's basketball in net revenue seems to me
>far-fetched.   A number of women's teams routinely sell out for the season
>in 10,000 to 15,000 seat buildings.   UConn and Tennessee are cases in
>point.   No college hockey team does that.   For another example,  the
>Eastern regionals for hockey this year were a disaster at the gate and were
>easily outdrawn by the women's Eastern Regional's (one of four).   And
>finally,  there are just a lot more women's basketball teams producing
>revenue than revenue producing college hockey teams.   In fact,  women's
>basketball has a full 64 team tournament.

This is just a theory on my part.  I have no idea what the actual numbers
are, so you may be right, but this may be a case of perception vs reality.
The media gives women's basketball way more media attention than it
deserves based on attendence.  The new WNBA and ABL leagues got
a huge amount of hype ("We Got Next") and would routinely have only two
or three thousand fans at the games.  Outside of the big name college
programs, there may be a big drop-off in attendence.  So, averaged out,
college hockey may beat out women's college basketball.

Jim Walker