From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 21:47:35 -0600
> Well, that was fun.  It's not often I go to one of these things and have
> It really was a shame on a couple of counts.  When the game ended,
> Halpern was obviously crushed.  I suspect that he's going to have
> nightmares about that play for months.  And the (other) goal he scored
> was so pretty.  Nice fore-checking caused Michigan to cough up the puck,
> and the Wolverines left Halpern completely uncovered between the hash
> marks.  He buried what may have been the hardest shot I've ever seen
> right into the top left corner.

The kid capped an unreal year with 28 goals ... which is right up there
in goals per game in the country .. and he probably won't get
All-American because he doesn't have the name, and Princeton doesn't
play as many games, so his totals won't look as huge.  But this kid does
it all ... a great character player on top of everything.

His dad said he was definitely crushed, but he has so much to be proud
about.

> I also think that Michigan probably would have won the game without the
> fluke.  Princeton was probably the most competitive #12 seed I've seen
> in the tournament (they sure put up more of a fight than MSU did last
> year), but Michigan was the better team.  If the Wolverines could have
> put their shots in the right direction (I think that SOG on the
> scoreboard stood for Shots on Glass) it might not have been close.  The
> Tigers really hung in tough, though.  I'll say they same thing that I
> said last year about Cornell; they went out playing their best.  Casson
> Masters played particularly well.

This was the seventh-place team in the ECAC by the way ....

Just a reminder.

AW