From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 21:16:18 -0500
Joe LaCour writes:

>I wholeheartedly agree.  For that reason, I don't know if I like the
>current selection process.
>
>I hate to mention a basketball reference here, but 20 + years ago, the
>ACC had a conference tournament with ONLY the winner making it to the
>NCAA tourny.  Some very good teams got left behind in that scenario.
>
>Also, in the days of the 4 team NCAA hockey tournament, the ECAC and WCHA
>tournament meant something.  I'm sure many alumni and fans can remember
>their favorite school being knocked out early in their tournament and a
>sure fire (hoped for) NCAA bid went out the door.

Except, of course, in the 1978 ECAC's when BU was knocked off in the semis
by Providence but some how received special dispensation and were awarded a
make up playoff game vs. PC.  Yes, they won it and went on to win the whole
thing, but they were given a consideration that no one else has ever
received, before or after.  After 20 years it still rankles me.

Greg Ambrose