From:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 08:36:24 -0500
On Tue, 24 Mar 1998 16:27:48 -0600 John Edwards
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I would be surprised if the NC$$ expanded the tournament. Going to 16
>teams would mean that just under 30% of teams would qualify. (16/54*)
>
>That would seem to dilute the NC$$ tournament, and serve (in many
>ways) to potentially de-emphasize the Conference tournaments. Part of
what
>makes the conference tournaments exciting is the fact that some of the
>teams are fighting for berths. If the tournament is larger, that will
>not be as true.
====
John

I wholeheartedly agree.  For that reason, I don't know if I like the
current selection process.

I hate to mention a basketball reference here, but 20 + years ago, the
ACC had a conference tournament with ONLY the winner making it to the
NCAA tourny.  Some very good teams got left behind in that scenario.

Also, in the days of the 4 team NCAA hockey tournament, the ECAC and WCHA
tournament meant something.  I'm sure many alumni and fans can remember
their favorite school being knocked out early in their tournament and a
sure fire (hoped for) NCAA bid went out the door.

Now if you win the RS title you're in.  The only thing (a BIG thing,
maybe) you're playing for in your conference tourny is a bye.  BU did not
need the HEA playoffs, they had the bye sewed up.

If you win the Conference tourny you're in.  AGREED.  If you could have
seen how Princeton played vs Clarkson, knowing that for the Tigers a loss
meant no more hockey vs Clarkson who was playing for a bye (well its
Clarkson and we know about our playoff misfortunes).

IF the tournament was expanded to 16, I'd like to see automatics just for
the conference tourny champ with the rest of the field decided on PWR.
The "Clarkson Rule" can stay, I suppose.

One more day to go and we see if Princeton can upset Michigan.

Joe LaCour
Clarkson '77

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]