From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 16:03:00 EST
ALL-CCHA & SUCH
If I had a ballot...

ALL-CCHA FIRST TEAM
POS NAME (TEAM)                 YR GP  G  A PTS PIM +-
 F  Sean Berens (Mich State)    SR 28 26 13  39  48  9
 F  Bill Muckalt (Michigan)     SR 30 20 23  43  68 14
 F  Mike York (Mich State)      JR 28 18 23  41  26 14
 D  Dan Boyle (Miami)           SR 30 12 13  25  34 13
 D  Tyler Harlton (Mich St)     SR 30  1 11  12  34 27

POS NAME (TEAM)                 YR GP  W L T GAVG SPCT
 G  Chad Alban (Mich State)     SR 27 20 3 4 1.63 92.2

Berens is a premier finisher, leading the league in goals
and power-play goals, as well as a top defensive forward.
Muckalt is the conference's most dangerous individual player
and, at times, carried his team like no other.  York, the only
non-senior, was steadily effective from October to March.
Boyle's offensive numbers were somewhat disappointing.
The injury to stay-at-home partner Todd Rohloff meant that
he couldn't completely shirk his defensive responsibilities
as he had in the past.  The CCHA finally witnessed Dan
Boyle the defenseman (and I use that term liberally), rather
than Dan Boyle the fourth forward.  If you get the impression
that I don't much care for him, you're correct.  Still, he's a
gifted offensive player who's worth to his team can be
measured by the tremendous amount of ice time he receives,
possibly the most in the league.  Harlton's defense and
leadership make his selection a no-brainer.  Alban's
outrageous numbers, performance versus top opposition
and late season media attention have thrust him into the
Hobey Baker spotlight, ala Charles Woodson with the Heisman.

ALL-CCHA SECOND TEAM
POS NAME (TEAM)                 YR GP  G  A PTS PIM +-
 F  Hugo Boisvert (Ohio St)     SO 30 20 27  47  38 16
 F  Eric Meloche (Ohio St)      SO 30 20 15  35  68 12
 F  Chris Richards (Ohio St)    JR 29 17 24  41  51 13
 D  Brett Colborne (Ferris)     SR 30  7 20  27  68  E
 D  Benoit Cotnoir (N Dame)     JR 30  9 15  24  40  7

POS NAME (TEAM)                 YR GP  W L T GAVG SPCT
 G  Marty Turco (Michigan)      SR 29 21 6 1 2.06 90.8

Boisvert led the CCHA in scoring and many will argue that he
belongs on the first team.  But, tell me which first team forward
above you'd be willing to give up to obtain him.  Aye, there's
the rub.  Boisvert's time in the spotlight is just around the corner
as he should command a great deal of local and national
attention for two more seasons.  Somehow, Meloche and
Richards strike me as a package deal with Boisvert, so I've
kept them together.  (The last thing anyone wants is for any
Buckeyes to become detached from the collective and run
amok.)  Colborne led all CCHA defenseman in scoring and
captained the surprising Bulldogs.  Cotnoir is the veteran
among the Irish's talented, young crop of  blueliners.  He tied
for the CCHA lead in short-handed goals (3).  Both Colborne
and Cotnoir are effective pointmen on the power play.
Turco improved on his All-America season of a year ago
and cruised past Steve Shields to set a new NCAA victory
record.  In any other season he'd be on the short list of Hobey
Baker candidates, but in what seems to be the year of the
goaltender he falls to second team All-CCHA.

ALL-CCHA HONORABLE MENTION
POS NAME (TEAM)                 YR GP  G  A PTS PIM +-
 F  Bobby Hayes (Michigan)      JR 29 16 17  33  42 15
 F  Terry Marchant (Lake St)    SR 29 14 19  33  18  7
 F  Sjon Wynia (AK Fairbanks)   SO 29 11 14  25  79 -7
 D  Chris Bogas (Michigan St)   JR 30  4  8  12  53 10
 D  Mark Eaton (Notre Dame)     FR 30  9 17  26  26 10

POS NAME (TEAM)                 YR GP  W L T GAVG SPCT
 G  Jeff Maund (Ohio State)     FR 22 15 6 0 2.51 91.3

Hayes had a breakout offensive season without sacrificing
his defense and tenacity.  He tied Cotnoir (and LSSU's
Jason Sessa) for the conference lead in short-handed goals
and is the type of player that nobody likes but everyone
wants on their team.  Like Hayes, Marchant is a notable
defensive forward who bloomed offensively.  Having both
of them available to kill penalties would be a coach's dream.
I put a personal stamp on my picks with the selection of
Wynia.  He's not a high profile player in the league, but he
always finds a seam and is in the right place at the right time.
If you're hellbent on replacing Wynia, I suggest Adam
Copeland (19-10--29, +9) of Miami, who is yet another solid
two-way performer.  UM's Matt Herr (11-12--23 in 20 games)
and BGSU's Dan Price (14-13--27 in 22 games) also
deserve mention, but neither played a full season.  Bogas
is my second choice among MSU's deep crop of
defensemen.  Some will favor Mike Weaver (1-14--15, +25),
but Weaver has the benefit of being paired with Harlton.
Bogas is a solid defender who will stand toe-to-toe with
anyone and is perhaps the best open ice hitter in the
conference.  I tend to shy away from including freshmen
on my All-CCHA team, giving older players the benefit
of the doubt, but Eaton's numbers are too hard to ignore.
He was second in scoring among defensemen and +10
on a sub-.500 team.  My next choice would be Weaver
or Michigan's Bubba Berenzweig (4-7--11, +15), who's
scoring totals understate his offensive contributions.  Others
of note include WMU's Steve Duke (3-16--19, -3), UAF's
Eon MacFarlane (6-7--13, -12), OSU's Ryan Root (7-8--15, +8)
and NMU's Rocky Welsing (1-6--7, +14).  In goal my choice
was between Maund and Miami's Trevor Prior (11-8-2, 2.66,
90.5), but Maund improved through the season while Prior faded.

CCHA ALL-ROOKIE TEAM
POS NAME (TEAM)                 YR GP  G  A PTS PIM +-
 F  Rustyn Dolyny (Mich St)     FR 30 17 17  34  22 13
 F  Mark Kosick (Michigan)      FR 29 10 18  28  10  9
 F  Josh Langfeld (Michigan)    FR 30 11 13  24  34  9
 D  Mark Eaton (Notre Dame)     FR 30  9 17  26  26 10
 D  Mike Van Ryn (Michigan)     FR 25  3  7  10  34  9

POS NAME (TEAM)                 YR GP  W L T GAVG SPCT
 G  Jeff Maund (Ohio State)     FR 22 15 6 0 2.51 91.3

This list is close to a no-brainer.  Dolyny deserves All-CCHA
consideration, and may get some from the coaches.  Kosick
won't make UM fans forget about Brendan Morrison, but he
certainly eased the transition following Morrison's departure.
Langfeld's goals come from close range, otherwise he looks
more like Mike Knuble than Jason Botterill, who he is often
compared to.  You can argue that I have too many Wolverines
on my team, but I wouldn't trade Van Ryn for any other rookie
blueliner.  Eaton and Maund were mentioned above.

CCHA ALL-ROOKIE HONORABLE MENTION
POS NAME (TEAM)                 YR GP  G  A PTS PIM +-
 F  Chris Bonvie (B Green)      FR 30  9 11  20  26-13
 F  JF Dufour (Ohio State)      FR 30  7 14  21  12  4
 F  Alex Kim (Miami)            FR 24 11 10  21  22 17
 F  Kevin Swider (Ferris St)    FR 26  8 17  25  14  6
 D  Dave Huntzicker (Mich)      FR 30  0  4   4  10 17
 D  Ryan Knox (Lake Superior)   FR 28  2  8  10  22 -4
 D  Doug Schmidt (No Mich)      FR 26  4  9  13  86  1
 D  Doug Schueller (B Green)    FR 30  3 12  15  44-16
 D  Andre Signoretti (OSU)      FR 29  3 14  17  47 12
 D  Darren Tiemstra (UAF)       FR 30  2  5   7  44-11

POS NAME (TEAM)                 YR GP W  L T GAVG SPCT
 G  Rob Galatiuk (Lake St)      FR 25 9  8 4 2.98 89.4
 G  Shawn Timm (Bowl Green)     FR 21 5 14 2 3.81 88.6

I mixed things up a bit, going with more defensemen among
my honorable mention selections.  There were plenty of freshmen
worthy of mention in the CCHA this season, but few who stood
out above the others.  Swider and Signoretti are two that should
garner more attention from the coaches.  Among the more
prominent names that were trimmed from my final list were
NMU defenseman Jeff White (4-10--14, +7) and FSU netminder
Vince Owen (11-14-3, 3.27, 87.4), who appeared in all 30 games
for the Bulldogs.

Now for the individual awards.  Given that I haven't seen as
many CCHA games this season as I usually do, I'm going to
admittedly cop out and select some co-winners.

CCHA PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Chad Alban (Michigan State) & Bill Muckalt (Michigan)

I can't argue with Alban's play or his numbers and I fully expect
the coaches to go with Short Dog.  Still, my heart bleeds for
Muckalt who carried the Wolverines while Matt Herr was out
with an injury and the freshmen we're playing like freshmen.
He did everything asked of him and more.  A case could also
be made for Sean Berens, although each team is only allowed
one nomination and I assume that MSU will trumpet Alban.

CCHA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
Jeff Maund (Ohio State)

I'm a sucker for netminders in this category, because I think
they make the biggest impact.  Rustyn Dolyny and Mark Eaton
are also commendable choices.  It'll be interesting to see who
UM nominates, Kosick being the most likely.

CCHA COACH OF THE YEAR
Casey Jones (Ohio State)

The real award is on its way to OSU's John Markell, but I'm
giving it to his assistant, Casey Jones.  It seems natural that
Jones does as much of the recruiting, and likely more, as
Markell does and every time I see the Buckeyes in action it's
obvious that Jones is doing more of the bench coaching, too.
So, unless OSU's success is predominantly a result of Markell's
practice sessions, Jones appears to be the driving force in
Columbus.

CCHA BEST OFFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN
Dan Boyle (Miami)

The only CCHA blueliner to register double-digits in goals,
Boyle is also a capable passer and puck-carrier.  He finished
second last season and deserves the hardware this time around.

CCHA BEST DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN
Tyler Harlton (Michigan State)

You could have mailed this one in back in October.

CCHA BEST DEFENSIVE FORWARD
Sean Berens (Michigan State)

I'm looking forward to the actual voting on this one.  It could go
to any of the solid two-way standouts mentioned in my All-CCHA
selections including Bobby Hayes (UM), Terry Marchant (LSSU)
and Chris Richards (OSU).  I'll also put in a plug for my personal
favorite, Michigan's Dale Rominski, who is a ferocious hitter and
penalty-killer.  Rominski also led all CCHA forwards (third overall)
with a +19.

BIGGEST SURPRISE SUCCESS
TEAM -- Ohio State
INDIVIDUAL -- Bobby Hayes (Michigan)

I don't think the Buckeyes themselves envisioned third place.
That's why John Markell is a shoo-in for Coach of the Year.
Likewise, who thought that Hayes, who entered the season with
14-24--38 in 81 career games, would become a better than point-
a-game center while maintaining his high-end defensive play
including taking key faceoffs?

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT
TEAM -- Western Michigan
INDIVIDUAL -- Daryl Andrews (Western Michigan) & Andrew
Merrick (Michigan)

Both took big falls, but Bowling Green finishing in the basement
was more conceivable than the Broncos missing the playoffs.
An 18-game overall losing streak...wow!  Taking part in the WMU
demise was Andrews, who went from being the CCHA Rookie of
the Year in 1996-97 to scoring one point in 29 league contests this
season.  Merrick is a personal disappointment.  I really expected
him to shine this season.  Instead, his CCHA output was four points
...equaling the offensive production of Chad Alban.  (Some may
be surprised not to see UM's Sean Ritchlin in this category, but it's
hard for me to consider him a disappointment given that I don't
*expect* him to contribute.)

EPILOGUE
The official Bauer CCHA All-Rookie Team was announced this
week.  The coaches went with Dolyny, Kosick, Swider, Eaton, Van
Ryn and Maund.  Dolyny and Kosick were unanimous selections.
Receiving honorable mention were Dufour, Kim, Langfeld and
NMU's Fred Mattersdorfer (11-8--19, +4) at forward, FSU's Jim
Dube (2-11--13, +3), Signoretti and White on defense and
goaltenders Galatiuk and Timm.

John Haeussler ([log in to unmask])
The above views also appear in the *final* issue of D'SCREAM,
to be released on an unsuspecting Yost Arena crowd in a few
short hours.