Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1992 14:38:10 -0500
 Well now that I'm back at work and have weeded through pages and pages of
 Hockey-L mail ;-), I can post a few things!

 First, from an article by Jay Weiner in the Star Tribune this morning on Team
 USA: FOUR STATE PLAYERS STILL ON U.S. HOCKEY TEAM.

 The 1992 U.S. Olympic hockey team will depart for Europe on Thursday with no
 more than four Minnesotans on its roster, a bare representation for the
 premier international squad.

 "When we select players from the United States we don't care where they are
 from," Olympic coach Dave Peterson said MOnday. "I don't have an answer as to
 why it might be. In fact, I probably can't tell you the hometowns of the
 players on our team."

 Defenseman Sean Hill, Duluth <and Wisconsin>; Brett Hedican, North St. Paul
 <and St. Cloud State>; Guy Gosselin, Rochester <and Duluth, I think>; and
 forward Jim Johansson, Rochester <and Wisconsin?> are the only Minnesotans
 remaining on the 26-man roster, including 15 forwards, 8 defensemen and 3
 goalies. By Thursday, the roster will be trimmed to 23: 13 forwards, 7
 defensemen and 3 goalies. Johannson is on the bubble.

 Peterson confirmed what had been an informal but foregone conclusion: former
 Gopher goalie Robb Stauber is "out of the picture." Stauber received a tryout
 in December, but was sent back to the Los Angeles Kings' farm club in Phoenix
 earlier this month. There had been a chance he would be recalled, but Peterson
 ruled that out yesterday.

 "Robbie was one of the experiments that didn't work out for us," said
 Peterson, a native Minnesotan, who formerly coached at Minneapolis Southwest.
 "We didn't have enough games to keep him busy."

 The Olympic hockey tournament begins for the United States on Feb. 9 against
 Italy.<END OF ARTICLE>

 I can't tell you how very disappointed I am about this.  If Dave Peterson wins
 a medal for the USA, I'll gladly admit that I know nothing about getting a team
  like this together....but we'll have to wait and see now. This will be the
 first time since 1932 that there have been NO Gophers on the U.S. Olympic
 team. (This was stated during the Gopher game on 1/17/92.)

 Some Gopher Notes:

 Yes, I was too sick to attend the Friday night game in person. A nasty sinus
 infection held me hostage! Lucky for me that the game was on TV. I also caught
 the first hour of the first Merrimack-Maine contest before the Gopher game
 started. My health was drastically improved on Saturday and that plus a ride to
  and from the game by fellow hockey-l'er Erik and his wife Paula enabled me to
 attend the second game. I wasn't up to my usual level of sound, so I didn't do
 too much yelling. ;-) It was good to BE there tho'.

 MTU Huskies...in a RARE break from tradition, the Gopher crowd LOUDLY CHEERED
 the Wisconsin score when it was announced. (This is as close to sacrilidge as a
  Gopher fan can get!) So you see....we'll take all the help WE can get too!!!
 **Steve, does the NMU crowd cheer on MTU when they're not playing Minnesota?

 More later if time permits.

 Carol
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!