From:
Kirk Eisenbeis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kirk Eisenbeis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 17:38:17 -0600
On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Brady Clark (Excell Data Corporation) wrote:

> Why would the McNaughton trophy leave the WCHA with MTU?  They may have
> brought it to the league, but if I understand tradition and honor in sports,
> I wouldn't think that they would take away anything that they didn't hold
> when they left...  Now if the somehow manage to win the McNaughton Cup this
> year and then leave...  But that doesn't seem very likely right now...

There are several reasons, you may not be familar with them all:
(I've forgotten where I learned this.  I probably read this stuff in the
Grand Forks Herald)

First, like you apparently know, MTU brought the cup to the WCHA.

Second, it is my impression that it is the property of MTU (was donated by
the family of an alum or local or something--actually, it may still be
technically owned by that estate).  Either way, this information says that
it's MTU's to take home with them.

Third, there is a precedent--in the 80's, when MTU left the WCHA for a few
years, they took it with them then, too.

It is a very valuable cup, both financially and historically.  They
are probably not going to donate it to the WCHA if they move.

Kirk