From:
Russ Bone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Russ Bone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 18:04:34 -0700
>        And the ECAC awards the Scotty Whitelaw Trophy similarly.  But
>in the WCHA,  it's the regular   season champ who gets  the McNaughton
>Cup.  (I forget now whether it's shared in case of a tie...)

In the case of a tie in the WCHA, the MacNaughton Cup is shared (though I
don't know the details of how this is worked out between the teams) as it
was this past season between North Dakota and Minnesota.  The winner of the
WCHA Final Five Tournament is awarded the Broadmoor Trophy.  According to
their own Final Five guide, winning the Broadmoor trophy is considered
secondary to winning the regular season.  Most WCHA fans that I know refer
to the regular season champion as the WCHA champion for the year.  A WCHA
playoff championship is recognized as a major accomplishment with the
awarding of an NCAA berth, but the WCHA looks at it as secondary to winning
the regular season.