Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 03:11:52 -0700
At 10:43 PM 12/4/97 -0600, Adam Wodon wrote:

>It's like this everywhere.  Despite the theory that basketball is much
>more popular in the US than hockey ... it's not true in places where the
>two sports go head-to-head.  Take a look at the minor pro attendance
>figures for hockey in Oklahoma City, Austin, New Orleans, Baton Rouge,
>Kentucky -- the list goes on.  The key, I suppose, is for hockey teams
>to go into more cities -- especially college.  But to college AD's ...
>look up and notice, that in towns where pro hockey goes up against pro
>hoops, pro hockey is winning.  The same might be able to be said for
>college.

Hockey versus basketball in Colorado:

The Avs draw more than the Nuggets -- and sell 9 times (!!!) the merchandise.

DU's hockey team outdraws their basketball team.

CC Tiger Hockey outdraws CU Buffaloe Basketball (even last year, when CU
made the roundball tournament).

If only they'd install ice in the Coors center here in Boulder and make
CU's club hockey team an independent NCAA squad (D1 hopeful). They could
schedule a Colorado version of the Beanpot -- DU, CC, Air Force, and CU --
and probably sell 10,000+ tickets with savvy marketing. Given the
reputation of this state, they could just call it "The Pot"  <g>

greenie

ps: the Rapids (MLS) out-draw everyone but the Rockies and Broncos...