From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 18:01:07 -0700
Our small NCAA division II school has 150 student athletes who compete in
10 sports.  We treat our student athletes differently from the rest of our
students.

We require them to have health insurance
We require them to consent to drug testing
We require them to have a 2.0 average to participate (this is higher than NCAA
   minimums.  it is also higher than student government requires of its
   student senators, higher than most clubs, too)
We require their coaches not to schedule events so as to cause the student
   athletes to miss more than 5 class meetings of any one class.
We require our student athletes to get written progress reports at mid
   semester.

Then there are ways we treat our student athletes the same as every other
student...

They pay the same tuition
They pay the same fees
They have equal rights to compete in the close in parking lottery
The register for classes according to the same schedule as all the other
    students

         charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
(719) 262-3492      (fax) 262-3369          http://www.cs.uccs.edu/~cdash