From:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 19:36:46 -0900
Okay, those of you who've felt the need to criticize my computer
ratings.  It's okay if you want to do so.  They're fair game.  But if
you've got something better, let's get it out there.  Let's be brave!

And a few reminders to those of you who wrote me.  Michigan is
definitely not undefeated.  Yes, Michigan Tech has a questionable
record, but they crushed the current 2nd place CCHA team by a score of
8-2 at home and tied them 4-4.  That's Northern Michigan at 3-0-1 in
league play.  The same team that has a win and tie with Lake Superior,
and two wins over Western Michigan.  Are they pretenders?  Maybe so but
that's what I was criticized about with Miami last year.  They're
definitely the surprise of the CCHA so far but were humbled in one game
with Michigan Tech.

Yes, Miami is undefeated and are very good.  But who have they played so
far?  They had a tough time with a St. Lawrence team that was crushed in
their opener by Colorado College.  New Hampshire is undefeated too but
also untested.  Dartmouth is just as undefeated as either of those two
teams are at this point.

Does Dartmouth belong there?  Probably not, but just maybe they are
better than you think they are.  The cream will rise and the others will
fall.  Next week they may be headed right back down.  And didn't I say
it was very early?  There are plenty of teams with a lot to prove and
some of them may not do it.

Thanks to Mike Machnik for reminding to get the exhibition games out of
the team's overall records.  I forgot to remove all the exhibition games
from the records, but it didn't affect the ratings.

Eric Carlson