From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1992 17:21:54 CST
Just look what I started!  Well, I guess I'm going to prolong this discussion
just a little.
Peter Kester wrote:
	I believe the main reason goalies cannot be captains is because goalies
	are not allowed out of their crease.  Since captains are the only players
	allowed to talk to the ref, allowing goalies to be captains would make
	it nearly impossible to ask the ref anything.

As I recall, the goalie is allowed to go as far as the opposition blue line.
In most cases the referee's area is at center ice, so that rule wouldn't
keep the goalie from talking to the ref most of the time, but I suppose it
would be a problem when, for example, there was a faceoff in the oponents'
zone and his team needed to discuss something with the ref.

Pam
Go Gophers!!!