From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1992 18:21:45 EST
By defeating Yale on Saturday night, Clarkson moved into sole possession of
the top spot in the ECAC for the first time since November 26.  In other
action, the Big Red picked up their first weekend sweep of the season, at
Union and RPI.  Cornell was seeing its first action in 26 days, the longest
layoff any ECAC team will experience this season, and the Big Red's longest
in-season break since hockey returned to Ithaca in 1957.

Friday, January 3:
     Brown 5, DARTMOUTH 1
     CLARKSON 3, Princeton 0
     Cornell 8, UNION 1
     Harvard 3, VERMONT 1
     RPI 5, Colgate 2
     Yale 2, ST. LAWRENCE 2 (OT)

Saturday, January 4:
     Brown 2, VERMONT 2 (OT)
     CLARKSON 6, Yale 5
     Colgate 8, UNION 3
     Cornell 4, RPI 3
     Harvard 6, DARTMOUTH 3
     ST. LAWRENCE 9, Princeton 4

ECAC standings as of 1/5/91:

                   League                       Overall
Team             W   L   T  Pts   GF   GA     W   L   T  Pts   GF   GA
Clarkson         8   1   0   16   47   24    13   3   0   26   90   44
St.Lawrence      7   1   1   15   52   30    11   3   2   24   89   54
Harvard          6   1   2   14   43   22     6   3   2   14   45   28
Yale             6   1   2   14   46   33     7   2   2   16   56   41
Cornell          4   2   2   10   30   21     4   4   2   10   34   29
Brown            4   3   2   10   36   34     4   6   2   10   50   56
RPI              3   6   0    6   28   38     7   8   0   14   55   64
Vermont          2   5   1    5   24   32     6   7   1   13   53   46
Colgate          2   4   0    4   26   32     4   8   1    9   60   65
Princeton        2   8   0    4   37   49     4   9   0    8   52   63
Dartmouth        1   5   0    2   14   40     1   9   0    2   24   66
Union            0   8   0    0   20   48     1  10   0    2   41   68

Notes on a few of the games:

RPI 5, Colgate 2
     Colgate jumped on RPI goaltender Neil Little early, but he made some
     great saves in keeping the Red Raiders off the board in the opening
     period.  Meanwhile, the Engineers were busy taking a 2-0 lead, as they
     were helped out by a pair of hooking calls four minutes apart on
     Colgate's Andrew Dickson.  Winger Ron Pasco got the game's first goal
     at 10:30 of the first period, and then after each team had a goal waved
     off, Jeff Gabriel corralled a rebound and beat Colgate goalie Shawn
     Murray at the 14-minute mark.  These would be the only two power-play
     opportunities of the game for RPI, while the Red Raiders had seven.

     The Engineers have had some problems this season in the middle period
     (they had been outscored 14-3 in the second in their previous seven
     ECAC games), and they once again went into a bit of a slump.  Colgate
     cut the deficit to one at 6:56 on a 5-on-3 power play, when Dickson
     partially made up for his first-period performance by firing a blast
     from the slot that was deflected over Little's shoulder.  RPI was able
     to regroup, however, and they came out and dominated the third period.
     A long pass from Craig Hamelin deep in the RPI zone to Wayne Clarke at
     the Colgate blue line set up Clarke on a 1-on-0 break, and he wristed a
     low shot past Murray at 5:41 of the third.  Four minutes later, Hamelin
     picked up a feed from Clarke, cut in front of the Colgate net, and
     backhanded the puck behind Murray to put the Engineers up 4-1.  Colgate
     came back with a goal at the 11:45 mark, but Jeff Brick iced the game
     for RPI with 2:07 left, slapping one from the top of the left circle
     that found the upper right corner of the net.

Cornell 8, Union 1
     This was pretty much a case of a well-rested Cornell team catching
     Union on their worst night of the year.  Just to add some commentary to
     Jim Teresco's summary from my perspective:  Union's first power play,
     two minutes into the game, came when Cornell's Russ Hammond was called
     for slashing during a faceoff, which is something you don't often see
     (and something I DIDN'T see, but anyway...)  Cornell got a bit lucky on
     their third goal, which was scored by Russ Hammond off a 2-on-1 break
     with Blair Ettles.  Before the goal, Cornell forward Rick Davis had his
     helmet knocked off, but he continued to play for about 20 seconds with-
     out it, which is normally grounds for a penalty (at least he didn't
     touch the puck during that time).

     Cornell's fifth goal, the first one that Union goalie Mike Gallant gave
     up, was also a somewhat questionable one.  Phil Nobel fired the puck
     down the ice, beat a Union defender to it, circled behind the Union
     net, and passed back in front to Stephane Gauvin, who took a low shot.
     Now, here's where things got a little fuzzy.  Gauvin was pushed into
     the crease, and at about the same time, Union's Wally Bzdell slid
     across the goal mouth, knocking the net off its moorings in the
     process.  The puck was definitely in the net AFTER the net was moved,
     but I didn't see it cross the line BEFORE.  Gallant later said he had
     blocked Gauvin's shot and Bzdell had slid and trapped the puck in the
     back of his pants, and that Bzdell's feet had hit the net (dislodging
     it) while the puck was still stuck under him.  To top it all off, the
     goal light never came on, although referee Mike Noeth clearly signalled
     for a goal.  It turned out that the light was broken, but it was
     quickly repaired.

     The Big Red came close to scoring a sixth first-period goal, but
     Gallant stoned Karl Williams with a minute left in the opening period.
     Despite allowing four goals, Gallant did pretty well, coming up with
     another brilliant save late in the third period, off a breakaway
     attempt by Shaun Hannah.  Andy Bandurski saw his first action of the
     season between the pipes for Cornell in the third period, and again he
     looked pretty good, although a rattled Union team never seriously
     tested him.

     A scary moment occurred in the second period, when one of the fans
     caught a puck in the side of the head.  Paramedics were crowded around
     him for several minutes, but he was eventually able to walk (with some
     help) out of the stands, probably for further medical attention.  I
     hope he's OK.

     I have to agree with Jim, though -- the Union team is not nearly as bad
     as it looked Friday night.  One thing I noticed was that even though
     the Dutchmen were making a number of mental mistakes on the ice, they
     still kept their composure.  Often in a blowout, the losing team will
     get frustrated and start taking cheap shots, but except for Jayson
     Flowers wiping out a Union power play with a dumb cross-checking pen-
     alty in the third, the Dutchmen stayed pretty much under control.
     Small consolation, I guess, but I'm expecting a much different game
     when Union journeys to Lynah in February.

Cornell 4, RPI 3
     The Big Red's easy win over Union was also a costly one, as Blair
     Ettles turned his ankle and Alex Nikolic sprained his wrist.  Both were
     sidelined for the RPI game, and the line-juggling that resulted partly
     explains why Cornell looked so shaky for a good part of the game.  In
     particular, the Big Red had to make do with a five-defenseman rotation
     instead of their usual six.  The team wound up relying very heavily on
     goaltender Parris Duffus, who came through once again.

     RPI's offense seems to have improved after some poor performances early
     in the season, and the two teams set the stage for this one by com-
     bining for four goals in the game's first seven minutes.  The Engineers
     lit the lamp just two minutes in, as Jeff Gabriel beat Duffus with a
     wrister, but Russ Hammond tied the game 29 seconds later, firing the
     puck under RPI goalie Neil Little's leg.  At 3:51 of the first,
     Stephane Robitaille converted RPI's only power-play opportunity of the
     night, skating in from the right circle on a mini-break and slapping
     one past Duffus from in close.  Speaking of power plays, or lack of
     them:  generally, I like referee Harry Ammian's style of officiating,
     but I think he was letting a little too much holding, hooking, etc. go
     in this game.  There were a total of seven penalties issued all night,
     and it looked to me like the game was somewhat rougher than that.  Ah,
     well, at least RPI can boast of a 100% power-play conversion rate over
     the weekend...

     Cornell tied the game again at the 6:20 mark.  The puck was left loose
     in the right circle of the RPI zone for a few seconds, until Jason
     Vogel skated in and fired it high into the corner of the net.  After
     giving up the two quick goals to the Engineers, Duffus settled down and
     played Frankly Brilliant for most of the rest of the game.  He got a
     number of chances to shine, as Cornell was having a problem hanging
     onto the puck in its own zone.

     OK, about the boarding major on RPI's Dan Vaillant... Ross Bracco
     writes:
>        And what's the story with Belzile or whoever, #6?  Acting like he is
>near death and then coming back on the ice two minutes after a major penalty
>was issued on RPI?  Well?
     Well what?  You don't have to have a player carted off the ice on a
     stretcher in order to pick up a major.  In most cases, it's a judgment
     call by the referee, and apparently Ammian felt that Vaillant's actions
     (he tripped Belzile and shoved him head-first into the boards) were
     worthy of a major penalty rather than a minor.  Belzile was down on the
     ice for about two minutes before being helped up and skating back to
     the bench -- fortunately, he was not seriously injured.  Given the way
     Ammian was calling the game, I was a little surprised that he gave
     Vaillant a major penalty, and I've certainly seen worse things go
     without majors being handed out, but all things considered, it was not
     an unfair call.  Would I say the same if it had been a Cornell player
     who was hit with a major?  Um, yeah, I hope so :-)

     Anyway, Joe Dragon gave Cornell the lead just 32 seconds into the major
     with a high shot from the left circle that deflected off Little's arm
     into the corner of the net.  With Vaillant still due to be off for more
     than four minutes, it looked like the Big Red would be able to break
     the game open, but the man advantage temporarily evaporated when Marc
     Deschamps got called for high-sticking.  Judging from the reaction, no
     one in the Cornell section saw that one, and apparently head coach
     Brian McCutcheon didn't either, because he lit into Ammian something
     fierce.  With the teams still skating four on four, Dave Burke got the
     eventual game-winner for the Big Red 22 seconds into the middle period,
     blasting the puck between Little's legs.  RPI cut the lead to one at
     the 4:01 mark, just as a Cornell power play expired.  Todd Hilditch
     passed ahead to Ron Pasco, who came in on a breakaway and rolled the
     puck under Duffus' leg as the goalie went down.  Pasco slammed into the
     goalpost on the play and went down for a minute or two, but he got up
     on his own and was OK.

     Cornell spent most of the rest of the game sitting on their one-goal
     lead, as the forwards came back to help out on defense.  The people
     sitting behind me went through the third period saying, "Oh, God, RPI's
     going to score again.  Remember what happened here two years ago?"  In
     that game, Cornell held a one-goal lead in the third, but RPI pulled
     their goalie, tied the game with seconds left in regulation, and then
     won in overtime.  Well, it was deja vu all over again.  RPI called
     timeout with 1:02 left and replaced Little with a sixth skater, but
     Duffus denied the Engineers the equalizer, making five of his 29 saves
     in the game's final minute as Cornell survived three faceoffs in their
     own zone.

This week's action starts with the rescheduled Harvard-Colgate game Monday
night.  Harvard will also host Clarkson and St. Lawrence this weekend in
what figures to be a battle for first place in the ECAC.  Other games on the
schedule:

Jan. 6
     Harvard at Colgate

Jan. 7
     New Hampshire at RPI (NC)

Jan. 10
     Clarkson at Brown
     Dartmouth at Colgate
     RPI at Princeton
     St. Lawrence at Harvard
     Union at Yale
     Vermont at Cornell

Jan. 11
     Clarkson at Harvard
     Dartmouth at Cornell
     RPI at Yale
     St. Lawrence at Brown
     Union at Princeton
     Vermont at Colgate
--
Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and probably '94        |  [log in to unmask]