From:
"Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luiz F. Valente
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 23:18:01 -0500
categorically that the problem with the Brown hockey team is NOT the
coaching staff. Let's not forget that Bob Gaudet was the man who, having
inherited the worst Division I team in the nation, produced an ECAC
tournament finalist and NCAA tournament qualifier in four years. He also
won two Ivy championships in his first seven years, and, in fact, is the
only Brown hockey coach ever to have won two Ivy championships. It makes no
sense to assume that all of a sudden Bob Gaudet became a bad coach. He
hasn't lost any of his energy or enthusiasm, and he continues to be widely
regarded by his peers as one of the best coaches in the nation. Assistant
Coaches Jamie Rice and Paul Pearl have demonstrated total commitment and
dedication to the Brown hockey program. They're good on the ice and at the
bench, and have worked very, very hard recruiting the class of '01. I
continue to have absolute confidence in the Brown coaching staff.

I still believe that there's enough talent on this team to win. So, why
isn't it winning? I wish I had the perfect answer. I think that there's
more balance top to bottom in the ECAC than in the past. There are no easy
games in the league, and the difference among most teams is negligible.
Brown lost a lot of close games at the beginning of the season (Cornell, at
Harvard, Yale, St. Lawrence, at Dartmouth, at Vermont) while other teams of
comparable ability were winning close games. Those close losses appear to
have generated a certain lack of confidence, which has been difficult to
overcome.

Even if this team doesn't make the playoffs, there's no reason to panick. I
am confident that Brown will be back. Besides, as I've said before, help is
on the way. (In fact, some of it has already arrived, although it's not
available this season.)

Luiz F. Valente