From:
Jennifer McClellan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer McClellan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 17:38:22 -0500
I agree with most of the comments on the Michigan State win at Joe Louis
Saturday, and I especially enjoyed being there to cheer MSU to victory after so many
disappointing losses over the last few years.  However, I am not an anti-Michigan
Spartan fan---in fact, I normally cheer for Michigan if they're not playing MSU (all the
way to the championship last year) and enjoy seeing them do well.  So my
disagreement/concern about the comments made about the game should _not_ be taken as
Wolverine-bashing.  Disclaimer over (-:
        Okay, let's get to it---I, as well as my Michigan season ticket-holding parents,
thought Marty Turco looked cocky and played a little sloppy.  That is not to say that he
didn't _make_ the saves and keep State out of the net most of the night.  It just seemed
that some of the shots he stopped were closer to going in than they should have been;
almost like he was expecting to make the save without any effort and then at the last
minute realized 'oops, I guess I'm gonna have to stretch a little farther than I
thought!'  I don't know if this impression was affected by having heard rumors about
dissention between Turco and the rest of the team (like what the heck happened between
him and Muckalt, and how was it allowed to happen?) or not.  What I do know is that I
sure wouldn't mind cheering Michigan on to the championship again if Michigan State
doesn't make it (I'm realistic enough to know OSU won't (-:), but if our impressions are
correct and nothing is done to correct an apparent attitude problem it's going to be
tough for Michigan to repeat.
        So, is there any else out there that might have some of the same thoughts, or
are we in our own little hockey universe and about to be pummeled by the Marty Turco Fan
Club? (-:
        And, while I didn't see the games because I was at Joe Louis, OSU took both
games from Notre Dame last weekend; I believe 5-4 and 4-2.  That means they're in 8th
place in the CCHA, 1 point behind Ferris, so if they hold on they'll either play
Michigan or the #2 team in the playoffs.  It'd be nice just to see them make it again
(3rd year in a row).

Jennifer