From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 16:27:27 -0400
At 9:22 AM -0400 2/11/97, Charles Wilrycx wrote:

> >Perhaps what is less understandable is why Luiz would feel compelled to
> >continue this vendetta against Princeton and Don Cahoon for several years
> >now.  And why he would choose to use HOCKEY-L as his forum in this crusade.
> >
> >---                                                                   ---
>
>                 What then is the purpose of this list?  What do you suppose
> we are all doing here?  What part of discussion is escaping you?  Mr.
> Valenti it seems has every right to say what he wishes, and at least be
> consistent.

People are welcome to express opinions, but it is to be expected that they
will be asked to defend them.  That's what Luiz is being asked to do here,
and as one way of understanding his opinion better, I have asked him to
explain how Princeton's style differs so dramatically from Brown's that he
would find the former "distasteful" and the latter not.  That request is as
reasonable as it is to allow Luiz or anyone else to express whatever
opinion they wish.  After all of the times that Luiz has said these things,
it is quite reasonable to ask him to explain why he is saying them.

But the burden here is on Luiz, not myself or anyone else.  He doesn't have
to provide evidence to force everyone to agree with him.  Only enough to
enable us to understand his view and to be able to believe that there is at
least a basis for his comments.

It is no different from any other controversy that has arisen on the lists.
And as I have said on HOCKEY, controversy is the underlying phenomenon that
makes the lists go. :-)

> It seems the
>
> >.....phrase including the words "pot", "kettle", and "black"
> comes to mind. :-)
>
>                 might be appropriate for yourself.

You're certainly welcome to explain how you arrived at this conclusion, by
email if necessary.  After all, I was not the one who expressed an opinion
without supporting it.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****